Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Cha-cha-cha-Chia!


For variety, I've been adding chia seed to my green smoothies lately. It's been a very interesting learning experience. I thought I'd share a few things about the chia seed with you:

Here's a little info I found from the Green Smoothie Girl.

"Chia seed has 7 times as much iron as spinach.  At 18%, it has more protein than beef, and its amino acids comprise a complete protein.  It slows conversion of sugars in the bloodstream, so it’s great to eat with a high-sugar meal.  (I mean like potatoes or fruit–hopefully y’all have abandoned or are at least minimizing refined sugars.)

Its mucilaginous properties mean it absorbs toxins, and it’s fantastic for weight loss.  I don’t like to eat after dinner, so if my dinner was light and I get really hungry later, what I do is eat a large spoonful of chia seed and chase it with a big glass of water.  It absorbs 10 times its own weight in fluids, so it fills you up when you are hungry with hardly any calories.

It tastes mild –- like nothing, really.  You can sprinkle it in cereal, or put it in a smoothie–but it will dramatically thicken your smoothie.  For that matter, it’s a great thickener!  Put 1 tsp. chia seed in 3 Tbsp. water, and you’ve got yourself an egg replacement.

It’s packed with those rare Omega fatty acids that your body cannot manufacture and must receive from foods–in perfect proportions.  And it stores for a very long time! I highly recommend it."



No comments:

Post a Comment