Monday, February 2, 2009

My Raw Pregnancy
By: Caramie Baker


My first pregnancy at 7 months along

I have been eating 90-95% raw for the last few years and I have absolutely loved the food, not only for its flavor, but for the amazing health benefits as well. I feel so much more alive and energetic. My husband and I decided we wanted to try for our second child in December of 08 and I made a decision to start eating 100% raw to fully benefit the baby and myself. So far this pregnancy tops my last one - no exceptions.

My first pregnancy was in 2005 and I ate like every other person I know. Steak, chicken, fast food, pastas, or whatever hot food I could find out of the box, along with whatever sugar I could find (I loved candy). By the third week of being pregnant I started throwing up in the mornings and by the sixth week I was throwing up 3-10 times a day -- no exaggeration. I started my pregnancy out at 155 pounds and by the end I weighed 125. I had lost 30 pounds that I didn't have to loose in the first place. I always looked pale and deathly ill. I spent four months doing nothing but laying in bed and occasionally doing my homework for college online on my laptop in bed. I had to completely stop working for the first four months until I just couldn't take it anymore and I went to work sick and all. My morning sickness never gave up like most peoples and I was throwing up even the night before my baby was born. I had even gone to the doctor and got one of the most potent nausea drugs (Zolfran) and while it helped at times the nausea continued. I remember laying in the hospital bed after my baby was born and almost cried because I was eating mashed potatoes (the hospital's ... yuck) and the nausea was gone. My poor husband had to sit there for nine months and watch and do nothing but pray that I was going to be okay. I honestly thought I would not go through another pregnancy again.

Over three years later I have decided to go at it again. After doing so much research on raw and vegan pregnancies I realized that so much of my nausea was from the foods I ate. It can be avoided. I ate completely raw up until I was six months along at which I had no signs of nausea and could function completely normal. And then I decided to experiment. I gave in to cooked foods and ate several healthy meals that were cooked. Within 24 hours I threw up for the first time. For that whole week I had eaten no sugar and ate things such as soups, mashed potatoes, bread. Although I have only thrown up three times, I felt nauseated several times throughout the day. As for me, I am convinced that raw is the way for me. I am happy that I felt a little nauseated as it is your bodies way of saying your baby is healthy and I am trying to protect it. This week I have been pushing myself to eat raw again, although it has been hard when it's easy to crave those warm carb foods. I already notice a difference and am excited to see the health benefits it will bring to my baby. Although I still have a ways to go, I look forward to keeping you up to date on the benefits of eating raw/vegan while being pregnant.

 

1 comment: